Healthy and Nutritious Food
We continuously strive to improve the nutritional quality of our products. These improvements include
- Reduce food borne contaminants
- Reduce saturated fats
- Reduce avoidable allergenic ingredients
- Products with lower salt
- Products with lower fats
- Products for sensible diets
- Products with natural flavours only
Examples of what we have achieved so far
Not all fats are equal – reduction of saturated fatty acids
Simply put, our products become more nutritious and healthy when we replace saturated fatty acids with unsaturated fatty acids. By using a specific sunflower oil, High Oleic Sunflower Oil (HOSO) with a high proportion of unsaturated fatty acids, we have gradually reduced the amount of saturated fatty acids in our chips and specialties by more than 75% since 2006. The proportion of unsaturated fatty acids was correspondingly increased and will be further increased by future improvements.
Great taste without artificial support
We also have reduced the addition of artificial flavour enhancers (e.g. natrium glutamate) in our branded products by 85% since 2007. This improvement has been made without compromising the great taste of our snack products.
A taste of nature
Our consumers increasingly ask for foods made with natural flavours. Therefore, since 2009 we use only natural flavours in any new branded product we develop and bring to market. For many of our existing products we have changed the formulation towards natural flavours. Today more than half of our total branded product range is made with natural flavours only.
Our plans for the future
- Further increase the use of HOSO (High Oleic Sunflower Oil) across entire chips and specialties portfolio
- Increase number of products in the portfolio with reduced salt and fat content
- Further increase the number of product formulas with only natural ingredients
- Focus more on portion packs for single serve
- Determine a portion size of 30g for all snack products within the Intersnack portfolio